How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4728
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know if I need to pay the $1000.00 fine. I enter

Customer Question

hi . I want to know if I need to pay the $1000.00 fine . I enter legally to US 8 years ago Im 16 years of age and my father is legal permanent resident
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Is this the son asking the question or the parent? When will the father become a US citizen?

Is the minor still in legal status or illegal now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both are asking.
The minor is not legal in us
The parent cannot be us citizen until 4 more years
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello .. thank you for that information. Si yo hablo espanol.

If you are not a US citizen yet, then your son cannot get his residency inside the US yet. First what you need to do is submit the form I-130 for your son. Once that is approved then you have to wait until you are a citizen to submit his residency application I-485. Remember : You should submit your citizenship application as soon as you can. You must hurry and do it when you can because as soon as you are a citizen, then you must submit the I-485 residency application for your son before he turns 21. Once you do it, no you do not have to pay the $1000 penalty. It does not apply to you.

ood luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hola.. lamentablemente usted sometio las aplicaciones equivocadas. NO estaba supuesto mandar la I-485 todavia, solo la I-130. Como la mandastes, lo que pasa es que el oficial de inmigracion que esta mirando el caso te esta pidieno prueba que tiene 245i porque el oficial piensa que su usted mando la aplicacion, es porque su hijo tiene la 245i. Pero no lo tiene entonces lo mejor que puede hacer es mandar una carta diciendo que no quiere seguir con la aplicacion de I-485 porque de todas maneras lo van a negar. Pero si manda carta pueden pedir que por lo menos sigan procesando la I-130. Asi ellos pueden negar la I-485, pero a lo mejor puede tratar de salvar la i-130 para no tener que pagarlo denuevo

El resto es como te esplique.. tienes que esperar hasta que eres ciudadano para poder meter la I-485 para tu hijo de nenuevo.

Ojala que esto lo ayudo para entender lo que paso mejor. Yo se que a veces los casos de inmgiracion son muy complicadoes y es un poco dificil entender todo por internet. Si algun dia quiesiera una consulta por telefono mas detallada, yo le puede mandar una oferta para eso. Avisame si quiere que se lo mande. Si no lo necesita, no se preocupe pero por favor acuerdese clasificar mi respuesta con las estrellitas. Es la unica manera que recibo credito por mi tiempo. Buena suerte!

Related Immigration Law Questions