Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My fiance went to Ghana and is coming back to the states…

Customer Question
Jones my fiance...

Jones my fiance went to Ghana and is coming back to the states from Ghana with 23 bars of gold each weighing 12. 4 Kilograms each what do I need to get the proper documentation so she can bring the gold to the states she is held up in Amsterdam because she doesn't have the proper documentation

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

In order to get the gold here to the states what documentation do we need to bring the gold to the states

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/22/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

People who ask a question like this on this site -- and you wouldn't believe how many people do every day -- are usually involved with an online romance with someone they have never met in their life who has convinced them that they are an heiress with a fortune in gold in some storage center in Ghana. Frequently, they also claim that the inheritance is contingent on her finding the right man. And then, suddenly, though you've never met her in your life and have no idea if she is real or not, tag, you're it. You're told that you'e the right man and that it's your job to clear her inheritance so that she can bring it to the States and you and she can live happily and wealthily ever after.

All of this is nonsense. Ghana is a very poor third world country, but the country does have gold mines and the government of Ghana strictly controls when and how gold can leave Ghana. One must make arrangements with the government to send gold abroad. She's not going to be able to bring the gold with her. It all must go through Ghana's PMMC, a government agency that regulates gold exports.

There is the only way to export gold from Ghana. The PMMC stands for the Precious Minerals Marketing Corporation. It is a government agency that controls the exporting of Ghanaian gold. Any other way to get gold out of Ghana is unlawful. Her lie about the so called problem with customs in Amsterdam is one we hear all of the time. The fact is, she'd have never been able to leave Ghana in the first place with 570 pounds of gold bars. She'd have been arrested in Ghana.

This scam comes complete with phony customs agents, phony barristers and all sorts of forged documents. Feel free to upload any documents she sent you with your reply, including and photo of herself she has sent you.

You can read more about the PMMC here.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer