Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Im 17 years of age just got married and I would like to

Customer Question
HI, I am US Citizen...
HI, I am US Citizen Im 17 years of age just got married and I would like to sponsor my husband for a greencard. How old do i have to be to sponsor him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/19/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is no minimum age for a U.S. sponsor (petitioner) to file a petition for a spouse. However, you must be at least 18 years of age to sign the Affidavit of Support (Form I-864 or I-864EZ). This means that if you are not yet 18, you will need a joint sponsor to help you meet the minimum financial requirements for bringing your husband over.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!