Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I got my 1st H1B approved from Oct 1st-Sept 30th 2015
,

Customer Question
Hello this is Kripa...

Hello this is Kripa I got my 1st H1B approved from Oct 1st-Sept 30th 2015

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Sure.. so my 6 years is completed on 30th of Sept 2016 right? now to complicate this situation.. in Nov 2014 I lost my job and immediately I applied for an H4 dependant on my husband's H1B My next H4-H1B transfer was applied for in May 2015 and it got approved in August 2015 My question is.. can I recapture the time I spent on H4 be recaptured when my H1B expires?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/19/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Yes, you may recapture that time because time on H-4 does not count against your 6 year maximum. Here is the official memo:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Outreach/Interim%20Guidance%20for%20Comment/H-4SeekingH-2orH-3StatusPM.pdf

And here is a good article:

http://www.murthy.com/2008/11/07/newsflash-uscis-memo-on-h-and-l-timing-h1bh-4-decoupling/

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!