Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My current H1 expires on April 5th 2016. And I have only 30…

Customer Question
My current H1 expires on...
My current H1 expires on April 5th 2016. And I have only 30 total days(recapture time) left on my H1 visa's 6 years quota, to apply for a new H1 extension, which ends on May 5th 2016. If my employer files for H1 extension now, it would take about 6-7 months before I get the decision. Can I stay and work in US for the same employer beyond May 5th 2016 based on 240 day rule? If I can stay for those 240 days, My PERM is under process and I am hoping to get my I-140 approved by then and get a 3 years extension on H1.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/17/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. Yes, legally as long as you file the extension application to recapture the additional time BEFORE April 5th 2016, then you can wait in the US for up to 240 days for a decision to be issued.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Hello there, I see that you were able to view my answer but did not leave a rating. Is there anything that I can clarify for you or any other questions?

I am here to help and hopefully I can earn your positive rating. That's the only way I receive credit for my time. Thanks!