Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My question is - does a H1B visa continue to be valid when…

Customer Question
My question is -...

My question is - does a H1B visa continue to be valid when an employee goes on long-term disability?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

I'm on short-term disability right now. I'm just wondering if my H1B visa will continue to be valid after I go on long-term disability.

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Immigration Lawyer should be aware of?

Not really, its a pretty straightforward situation. I'm on an H1B, currently on short-term disability, might need to go on long-term disability. Trying to find out if my visa will still be valid.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/17/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

What is the reason for the long term disability?

I was diagnosed with a critical illness and am undergoing treatment which might take me beyond the 26 weeks allowed for short-term disability.

I am sorry to hear about your illness. I wish you a speedy recovery.

If your employer is not paying you, then you would not be considered to be in valid H1B status even if you are on long term disability approved by your employer.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Hello there, I see that you were able to view my answer but did not leave a rating. Is there anything that I can clarify for you or any other questions?

I am here to help and hopefully I can earn your positive rating. That's the only way I receive credit for my time. Thanks!