Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a US Citizen residing in India with my wife who is an…

Customer Question
I am a US Citizen...
I am a US Citizen residing in India with my wife who is an Indian citizen. Our long term plan is to move to US and initiate her green card process.Through my wife's current employer in India she has got an opportunity to work in the US for two years. The standard procedure is for the company to sponsor her L1B visa.We would like to know if we can initiate her green card process with me as a sponsoring spouse (US citizen) residing in India.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/14/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team replied 2 years ago
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can file for a spousal visa now while you are out of the US through the US consulate/embassy and get the process started, which generally takes about 9-12 months to complete. So the sooner you start it the better off you are. See: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/family/fiance.html
So, yes, you can initiate the spousal visa process while out of the US.