How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 118775
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US Citizen residing in India with my wife who is an

Customer Question

I am a US Citizen residing in India with my wife who is an Indian citizen. Our long term plan is to move to US and initiate her green card process.Through my wife's current employer in India she has got an opportunity to work in the US for two years. The standard procedure is for the company to sponsor her L1B visa.We would like to know if we can initiate her green card process with me as a sponsoring spouse (US citizen) residing in India.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can file for a spousal visa now while you are out of the US through the US consulate/embassy and get the process started, which generally takes about 9-12 months to complete. So the sooner you start it the better off you are. See:
So, yes, you can initiate the spousal visa process while out of the US.