Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

This is regarding my H1B Extension I have a valid H1B Via

Customer Question

Hi Good Evening
This is regarding my H1B Extension I have a valid H1B Via till 9/30/2016. But my current petition is going to be there till 31st March 2016. My employer is saying that he will apply for the extension soon. Incase if they don't apply my extension before 31st march 2016, Can I stay in US till 30th September 2016 and search for the job. Please advise me on this.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

No, unfortunately the date on your petition and your I-94 is what governs the time that you can stay in the US legally. The H1B visa in your passport is something separate. As long as you are still working with your employer and he submit an extension before March 31, 2016, you can remain in the US legally. If your employer has not submitted the extension before March 31, then you cannot continue working with them and you should depart the US as soon as possible. You can return once you have a new approved petition.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.