Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Regarding H1B Extension. I have valid H1B Visa till

Customer Question

Regarding H1B Extension. I have valid H1B Visa till 9/30/2016. But my current petition is going to be there till 31st March 2016. My employer is saying that he will apply for the extension soon. Incase , if they don't apply my extension before 31st March 2016, Can I stay in US till 30th September 2016 and search for the job... Please advise me on this.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Are you saying your petition expires March 31st, 2106, next month?

Your visa stamp in passport is good until 9/30/16?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help me on this ? Visa is available ( Stamped ) till 9/30/2016.But the current petition is ending by 31st March 2016

You may not remain in the US beyond the expiratoin date of your I-94 and petition expiration date.

You begin to accrue unlawful presence as of the date your status expires on your I-94.

After 180 days you face a 3 year bar if you leave to get another visa.

A visa stamp is only good to enter the US with an approved and unexpired petitioin.

It is the petition approval expiration date and the I-94 expiration date that controls whether you are in status in the US , not the visa.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith