Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a Filipino Citizen. I am married in the Philippines…

Customer Question
Hi I am a Filipino Citizen...
Hi
I am a Filipino Citizen. I am married in the Philippines with a British citizen. We separated and he filed a divorce in the UK. There is no divorce in the Philippines, just annulment. I would like to ask, if I am already divorced in the UK, am I allowed to marry here in America even though I am not annulled in the Philippines?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/10/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

If the divorce is legal and valid in the UK, then yes, you can remarry in the U.S. and the new marriage would be valid in the U.S. Just keep in mind that if you travel to the Philippines, your new marriage would not be valid and I have heard that they sometimes arrest and prosecute persons for being in bigamous marriages. So it might be a good idea that you should still try to get the annulment if you want to travel back to the Philippines in the future.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Vana. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello Vana. Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.