Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was discharged from the Marine Corps Reserve

Customer Question
for Unsatisfactory participation- will this...
I was discharged from the Marine Corps Reserve for Unsatisfactory participation- will this affect me in the naturalization process?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/5/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It depends on what and when. Could it be something that calls your moral character into question? If so, when was that case closed?

I was given an Other Than Honorable discharge for unsatisfactory participation in thet ready reserve. I enlisted in March 20th, 2006 and was discharge March 9th, 2009.

That doesn't tell me much. If you give me more details, I may be able to tell you if it can call into question your moral character.

I didn't report to the required drilling events that are held every month for 9 consecutive month. That's why the discharge is for unsatisfactory participation

Ok. It doesn't look like something that would call into question your good moral character and it also happened longer than 5 years ago. But just to be on the safe side, I would submit good moral character letters from friends, family, co-workers, bosses, neighbors, etc. where each writes their own letter stating who they are, how long they have known you, how they know you, and that you have good moral character and to give the reasons why they believe you have good moral character. The more detail, the better. The people you ask to write the letters do not have to know about any issues in your background. I think that would give you the best chance of approval.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!