Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My girlfriend is from Colombia and her visa needs to be

Customer Question
My girlfriend is from...

My girlfriend is from Colombia and her visa needs to be renewed in April. She has been visiting for 4 months and has told me that there is a strong risk that her visa will not be renewed to be able to visit me for extended periods. I do not want to get married yet certainly but I do want her to be able to stay with me for extended periods. Is this possible?

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will be able to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Immigration Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Immigration Lawyer should know?

I don't think so. I will support her while she is here but she owns her own home in Colombia and her children and family reside there.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/4/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

She's probably right. It's very hard to get a tourist visa these days. Over the last 5 years, how much time has she spend in the U.S.? What type of life does she have back home? Does she have a great job with higher than average salary? Own any property or business over there?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

You can look at the link below for all the information that you need on the visitor visa:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html

Essentially, she must have a valid reason for visiting, must have a way to support herself without working illegally, must have significant ties to her home country, and must have the intent to return home.

A letter of invitation helps with some of this as it will help to show why she is coming to the U.S., how much time she will need and that perhaps she will have a place to stay so that she doesn't have to spend money. Usually you want to show that she is going just for a few weeks or so. If it is longer than that, immigration will wonder why and will become suspicious. They are almost sure to deny someone that says they want to visit for 5 or 6 months unless they have very strong evidences of everything else I listed above. So your letter should state why you are inviting her and that you will provide room and board while she is here visiting. But keep in mind that a letter of invitation is a small part of the process and isn't even a requirement (people mistakenly believe it is the most important) and it can sometimes be used against the applicant. For example, if the consular officer believes that the applicant will have too much support meaning that they could stay illegally in the U.S. or if there is a romantic connection, the officer would deny the visa. Sometimes it is better to not even have a letter of invitation. The most important part of a case is to have strong ties to the home country.

Now as to some of the ties, she will need to show that she has significant close family at home, property not easily sold, and a good job for a good company that she has had for awhile that she would not normally abandon.

So if she is young, and without much money or any property or a good job, she would probably be denied. They would see her as a risk for staying illegal. Also, persons that are planning to travel with their spouse and children are a risk as well because some of their significant ties are actually going with them.

I mean some people have been approved with less, but I am trying to give you the idea for the best chance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello Robert. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!