How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102341
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning on marrying a Canadian citizen and I would to

Customer Question

hello I am planning on marrying a Canadian citizen and I would to know the steps to take to bring her to the U.S. we are planning on getting married in July
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I want to know the steps I need to take to make that happen
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Which of the following do you wish to do:

A) Marry her abroad, and then petition for her greencard status, or

B) Petition for her on a temporary fiance visa, marry her in USA, and then adjust her to a greencard status?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, whichever is faster. I plan on getting married late July in Algeria. However, I am not sure if it makes more sense to legally get married there then petition for a green card or petition for a fiancé visa then do the legal part here in the USA. I want to proceed with the fastest option.Thank you,Moncef
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Well, either process takes about 6 months, but marrying abroad (as you already seem to want to do) is less paperwork and cost, so let us go with this.

This involves filing for an I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). You can see STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS and what documents to file HERE.

The I-130 application itself may be found HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the six month period start after July? Or can the I-130 be filed before getting married aboard. I would like her to move here after the wedding in July. If I start the process for the fiancé visa, does that mean she can have the visa six months from now then it is just a matter of changing status once she is here?Thank you,Moncef
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Six months is an estimate, it begins when you file the I-130.

The I-130 cannot be filed before you are married.

If you go the fiance route, you would petition for her fiance visa (HERE), get her to come over (about 6 months wait), and then file for her greencard with the I-130 after marriage (HERE).

Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Related Immigration Law Questions