Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am planning on marrying a Canadian citizen and I would to…

Customer Question
Hello I am planning...

Hello I am planning on marrying a Canadian citizen and I would to know the steps to take to bring her to the U.S. we are planning on getting married in July

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I want to know the steps I need to take to make that happen

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/2/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Which of the following do you wish to do:

A) Marry her abroad, and then petition for her greencard status, or

B) Petition for her on a temporary fiance visa, marry her in USA, and then adjust her to a greencard status?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Hello, whichever is faster. I plan on getting married late July in Algeria. However, I am not sure if it makes more sense to legally get married there then petition for a green card or petition for a fiancé visa then do the legal part here in the USA. I want to proceed with the fastest option.Thank you,Moncef

Well, either process takes about 6 months, but marrying abroad (as you already seem to want to do) is less paperwork and cost, so let us go with this.

This involves filing for an I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). You can see STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS and what documents to file HERE.

The I-130 application itself may be found HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Does the six month period start after July? Or can the I-130 be filed before getting married aboard. I would like her to move here after the wedding in July. If I start the process for the fiancé visa, does that mean she can have the visa six months from now then it is just a matter of changing status once she is here?Thank you,Moncef

Six months is an estimate, it begins when you file the I-130.

The I-130 cannot be filed before you are married.

If you go the fiance route, you would petition for her fiance visa (HERE), get her to come over (about 6 months wait), and then file for her greencard with the I-130 after marriage (HERE).

Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.