Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have applied electronically of my Card 5 months ahead of…

Customer Question
I have applied electronically for...
I have applied electronically for renewal of my Green Card 5 months ahead of expiry. At the Biometric appointment for renewing my Green Card will I be required to hand over my existing Green Card ? If so what Travel document will i receive? The Green card expires in June 2016. Will if receive the new Green Card before that ? If not how can i stay legally ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/2/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James. I will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write FOR JAMES at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: If you are required to surrender your green card, you will be issued an I-551 stamp in your passport. That acts as valid proof of your permanent resident status for all purposes, including travel and employment.

There is no guarantee that the new card will be issued by June 2016. However the I-551 stamp, and the Receipt Notice for the application to renew your green card is vaild proof of your lawful status.

Note that even if the card expires, it does not mean your status expires. It just mean that the valid proof of your status expired.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

Otherwise, kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. You can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating for my customer service is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked; I am sure you agree that would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job.

Keep in mind, you are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer