Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

HANGKA-TROWER MY FATHER BECAME A US CITZEN THOUGH S FATHER I…

Customer Question
HI MY NAME IS JENNILYN...
HI MY NAME IS JENNILYN HANGKA-TROWER MY FATHER BECAME A US CITZEN THOUGH HIS FATHER I CAME TO US TO LIVE WITH HIM IN 2007 WITH A GREEN CARD I GOT MARRIED IN 2010 DO I STILL HAVE TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/1/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James. I will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write FOR JAMES at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

If you understand that, please answer the following:

How old were you when you came to the US with the green card?

19

OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: Because you were 18 years old or older when you came to the US with the green card, you did not derive citizenship status through your father.

So in this case, you would have had to apply for naturalization in order to become a US citizen.

If you have been living in the US for at least 5 years as a permanent resident, you need to file form N-400 and supporting document. This starts the naturalization process. Once it is approved and you take the oath of citizenship, you will become a US citizen.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

Otherwise, kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. You can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating for my customer service is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked; I am sure you agree that would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job.

Keep in mind, you are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!