Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My grandson who is 24 years old, wishes to obtain a

Customer Question
passport. In 1992, his mother...
My grandson who is 24 years old, wishes to obtain a passport. In 1992, his mother, my daughter was murdered and his biological father is in prison for the commission of that murder. He was told he needs documentation that he is indeed his father. He has his mother's death certificate and understandably does not want to have to contact the father for him to verify that he is his son. His father's name does not appear on the birth certificate. He and his siblings are continually having to suffer for the crime of their father. Are there extenuating circumstances for such a situation? We live in New York State.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James. I will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write FOR JAMES at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

If you understand that, please answer the following:

Was his mother a US citizen when he was born?

What is his exact birth date?

she was born in the USA in Schenectady, New York. His dob is 7/4/91
I must log off to go pick my foster child up from school. I will check my email later and you can also text me.

An adult who was born in the US would not require his father's permission or identification for a passport?

Was your grandson born in the US or abroad?

Ely, Counselor at Law