Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am an american citizen currently in the Philippines. I…

Customer Question
Hi, I am an american...
Hi, I am an american citizen currently in the Philippines.
I came to see my future wife after months and months of communicating, and now, we are trying to decide the best way, the quickest way to get our family back to Seattle WA, to start a wonderful life together. We are both older and mature and are just trying to find the easiest way to be together whether its applying for a fiancee visa here or have a simple civil wedding while I'm here. Please advice and thank you.
John & Cyril
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/31/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team replied 2 years ago
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The best and easiest way and safest way for you to do this is through a fiance visa application and bringing her to the US. This method allows her to come to the US to acclimate before you marry and then you can marry in the US. It also allows you to get a prenuptial agreement done and signed if you choose to do so (many people marrying Filipino women use one because there is no guarantee they are not marrying to get assets of US Citizens whom they see as wealthy, even if they may not truly be wealthy).
How long does a fiancé visa take compared to just getting married while I am here in the Philippines?
Thank you for your reply.
I just had someone get their fiance visa and it took them about 7 months total.
If you get married in the Philippines, the marriage visa is going to take just as much time.
Immigration Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

I agree with my colleague. However, the best way would be if she were here on a tourist visa, didn't overstay and married here in the USA. Then the adjustment could take place while she is here and she would not have to leave.

Thank you for your use of our service.
As you can see another expert concurred with my response as well.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.