Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a Citizen of the U.K, my dad is now a United States…

Customer Question
I am a Citizen of...
I am a Citizen of the U.K, my dad is now a United States Citizen. Can I travel to the United States just with my passport?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/29/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It depends. You mean coming to the U.S. on an ESTA Visa Waiver> How old were you when your father became a U.S. Citizen?

I was an am 21
I have a passport, I need to know what is the fastest way for me to get to the United States. This is kind of an emergency.

If you are nervous that they may think that you have immigrant intent because your father is now a U.S. Citizen, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Why? Because you are over 21. If you were under 21, then it could be an issue because your father could apply for you to stay immediately. Since you are over 21, it would take around 7 years or so for you to get Residency through your father and you are not allowed to stay illegally in the U.S. If you did, then you would not be able to use that petition from your father even the time came. You would have to leave the U.S. and subject yourself to a 10 year bar unless you got a very hard to get waiver. So IF the officer at the Port of Entry give you any problem with that, you tell them that you know you cannot overstay because you are over 21 and a petition from your father would not be usable for you to stay if you are out of status which you would be. Also, here a link to things that you can have with you to prove non-immigrant intent and strong ties to your country to make them feel secure that you will go back home on time:

https://help.cbp.gov/ci/fattach/get/46680/0/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzk3NDE3MzcxL3NpZC85M1BEQ0lSbA==/filename/Intentions+and+Ties.pdf

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.