Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am principal at a small architecture firm. A foreign

Customer Question
Hi, I am principal at...
Hi, I am principal at a small architecture firm. A foreign friend and her son are visiting and they will be here until next week. My friend's son is an undergrad architecture student in the country he resides. My friend asked if his son could come by our office to basically feel the environment and help on small things. He won't be getting paid for this. It will be like a very short unpaid externship. He is here with a tourist visa. Would it be okay to have him here in the office and shadow things?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/27/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Well, the idea is that he is not allowed to work for any form of compensation. Do you have that externship available on a regular basis to anyone else? And how long would it be for?

He will be in the office for the next two-three days. We don't have this type of externship available on a regular basis to anyone one else.

If it's just for a few days or a week or so and you have no internship or externship program AND he will not be compensated in any way, I seriously doubt that it will become an issue. The idea is that he not take any opportunities away from U.S. workers or U.S. students. A good guide is to try to make sure that he fits into one of the categories in the chart in this link: http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/BusinessVisa%20Purpose%20Listings%20March%202014%20flier.pdf Maybe it could fall under "training", per se. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.