How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28811
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently petitioned and sponsored relative to get

Customer Question

Hi,I recently petitioned and sponsored for a relative to get immigration visa to U.S. I know based on form I-864 I am financially responsible for that family and they have right to request for financial help.I want to know if I can have a contract with that applicant that they cant ask for any financial help and I can refuse any support so if in future they want to file a complain or law suit that contract helps me handle the issue?They are in process of getting immigration visa and still haven't got any visa to U.S.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

This is an unusual situation. Generally in marital situations there is a pre-nuptual agreement waiving support.

Here you have the issue of this really being a contract you are making with the US government that you would reimburse the feds for any state or federal means tested benefits they claim, such as food stamps or supplemental cash housing benefits, and in some circumstances such as medicaid.

I would suspect you and each person in this family whom you are providing an I-864 for you could have them execute a hold harmless agreement as well as a contract to refrain from seeking any monetary benefit from you for the duration of the I-864. It would not be a slam dunk because this is such a grey area that it could end up in court for a judge to decide.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judith thank you so much for such a quick answer. I am a little confused since my English is not too perfect. So you don't see any point for such a contract which would be between me and my sister inlaw? Or you think is better to have such a contract ?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest that it is worth our while to have the contract between you and your sister-iin-law. The most that could happen is she sues you to void it and a judge would decide if it is valid.

I think you have perfect English or a good translator app!