Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question about moving to Brazil permanently from…

Customer Question
I have a question about...
I have a question about moving to Brazil permanently from the US. I am going to marry a Brazilian citizen. Can I marry in Brazil on a temporary visa and then stay in Brazil legally? I do have a criminal record.....felony DUI
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/26/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is yes. Marrying a Brazilian national allows one to gain permanent residence in Brazil. However there is an issue. If you file when in Brazil, the process can take up to 2-3 years if you apply through the Federal Police in Brazil. However if you marry now and file before going to Brazil, the process only takes 3 months or so for the visa via the Brazilian consulate.

In addition, a criminal record will be requested. The good news is that Brazilian authorities look at this on a case by case basis. They generally reject individuals with a history of repeated violence, major felonies, a history of criminality, etc. A single DUI is unlikely to be a cause of rejection.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.