Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I live in Alberta and have an opportunity to work US company…

Customer Question
Hi, I live in Alberta...
Hi, I live in Alberta and have an opportunity to work for a US company that also has Canadian subsidiaries. I would work in Canada but would travel to the US and abroad. What are the legal implications and things to consider ? Thanks, Nancy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/25/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

What activities would you be doing in the U.S.? Do they fit into this chart?:

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/BusinessVisa%20Purpose%20Listings%20March%202014%20flier.pdf

Hi, I think it would fall under conference, trade show, meeting, event. The company is Sabre Airline Solutions. I would be a product expert meeting with airlines. I would also have to attend training and meetings with my co-workers.

Ok. Then I would file for a B-1 business visa. Here is a link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html

This should cover that sort of activity while just using your Canadian passport wouldn't.

If it is anything outside of that, then you should look into the TN professional visa or the L-1 visas. Here are some links:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/employment/nafta.html

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/l-1a-intracompany-transferee-executive-or-manager

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/l-1b-intracompany-transferee-specialized-knowledge

Those would cover working in the U.S.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Nancy. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!