How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4703
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My German friend has a US student F-1 Visa which is due to

Customer Question

My German friend has a US student F-1 Visa which is due to expire in May, 2016 when he graduates college. What’s the EASIEST way for him to extend his stay in the US for 6 months as a Tourist? I assume he would want roll-over into a B1 / B2 Visa. Yes/no? What's the simplest way to accomplish this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The only way for him to extend his visa is to apply to change his status from F-1 to B1/B2 using the Form I-539. You can find the form and instructions on where to send it here:

He needs to make sure to mail this form and that USCIS must receive it BEFORE his F1 visa expires. Once he does that, he can remain in the US and wait for a decision on the change of status application. If the visa is approved, then yes he would automatically change from F1 visa to B1/B2 visa.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there- It's been a few days since we last spoke. I am just checking whether you received the answer I sent you and if you had any follow up questions I can help with.

Please let me know and hopefully I have earned your positive rating. Thanks!