How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our marriage license uses my wife's maiden name, but she

Customer Question

Our marriage license uses my wife's maiden name, but she wanted to use my last name going forward. The instructions for adopting a married name were not indicated on the marriage license and as such we filed it with her maiden name.
We are completing the 485 paperwork and are not sure if she should us her maiden name or married name? We have not yet been to social security to sign her up for a number.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Generally, either maiden or married name can be used on I-485, as long as, the copy of the marriage certificate is attached to explain the married name, however, if the I-485 is filed under the maiden name, then if approved, a permanent residence card would be issued under the maiden name and subsequently the driver license and social security card would have to be under maiden name.

I wish you the best of luck!