Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
26296561

Our marriage license uses my wife's maiden name, but she

Customer Question

Our marriage license uses my wife's maiden name, but she wanted to use my last name going forward. The instructions for adopting a married name were not indicated on the marriage license and as such we filed it with her maiden name.
We are completing the 485 paperwork and are not sure if she should us her maiden name or married name? We have not yet been to social security to sign her up for a number.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Generally, either maiden or married name can be used on I-485, as long as, the copy of the marriage certificate is attached to explain the married name, however, if the I-485 is filed under the maiden name, then if approved, a permanent residence card would be issued under the maiden name and subsequently the driver license and social security card would have to be under maiden name.

I wish you the best of luck!