Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have an L1 visa. Live in Texas. Am Canadian. Have worked…

Customer Question
I have an L1 visa...
I have an L1 visa. Live in Texas. Am Canadian. Have worked in USA since Jan 2014. If I get laid off this year do I qualify for USA uninsured benefits?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/23/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. Are you referring to unemployment benefits?
Yes.
If you remain in the US after being laid off, you would be considered to be out of status and by applying for UI benefits, you are telling the government that you are no longer employed in the US and therefore out of status. You are not supposed to remain in the US on L1 if you are out of status. So the problem here is that even if Texas will approve your claim, you cannot remain in the US while being out of status.Also additionally in order to apply for unemployment benefits one of the requirements is that you are eligible to work immediately if you find another job. In order to be able to accept and work immediately you would need to get another L1 visa. Your current L1 status only gave you permission to work for your specific employer so that means you are not available to work immediately. Normally if you are not in the US, then you cannot apply for benefits. Texas does have an option for people living in Canada if you returned to Canada and collected there (that way you are not here out of status). Here is information about it http://www.twc.state.tx.us/if-you-worked-texas-live-another-state-or-canadaGood luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Hi there- It's been a few days since we last spoke. I am just checking whether you received the answer I sent you and if you had any follow up questions I can help with. Please let me know and hopefully I have earned your positive rating. Thanks!