How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4865
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an L1 visa. Live in Texas. Am Canadian. Have worked

Customer Question

I have an L1 visa. Live in Texas. Am Canadian. Have worked in USA since Jan 2014. If I get laid off this year do I qualify for USA uninsured benefits?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. Are you referring to unemployment benefits?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If you remain in the US after being laid off, you would be considered to be out of status and by applying for UI benefits, you are telling the government that you are no longer employed in the US and therefore out of status. You are not supposed to remain in the US on L1 if you are out of status. So the problem here is that even if Texas will approve your claim, you cannot remain in the US while being out of status.Also additionally in order to apply for unemployment benefits one of the requirements is that you are eligible to work immediately if you find another job. In order to be able to accept and work immediately you would need to get another L1 visa. Your current L1 status only gave you permission to work for your specific employer so that means you are not available to work immediately. Normally if you are not in the US, then you cannot apply for benefits. Texas does have an option for people living in Canada if you returned to Canada and collected there (that way you are not here out of status). Here is information about it luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there- It's been a few days since we last spoke. I am just checking whether you received the answer I sent you and if you had any follow up questions I can help with. Please let me know and hopefully I have earned your positive rating. Thanks!