Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My name is ***** ***** Morales and I have issues with my…

Customer Question
Hello. My name is...

Hello. My name is ***** ***** Morales and I have issues with my wife

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes I want to know, what are my choices if I am the petitioner for sponsoring my wife and her son and we being married for 9 months and now she is telling me she wants to move out closer to her work but at the same time she is letting me know that she married me only for the immigration purpose of obtaining the green card and the right to stay here in the USA, that she is not in love with me, and even told me that she could move in with other guy, but at the same time she is specting me to continue with her process of immigration. But we are in the first stage of initiation were she has only got the temporary working visa and we are still waiting for the interview for the temporary green card, and she is saying that no matter how she will obtain the papers, even if she would have to declare that she is being abuse and file a police report against me stating that I had trowed her out of the house, when all I had done is provide for them with everything I have end even when she works and makes good money but she haven't help with no money at all or contribute for the house expenses.

Lawyer's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Immigration Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes it's ok

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/22/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

If you understand that, please answer the following:

Do you have any of this in writing?

No, I don't have anything on writing unfortunately

ANSWER: You only have one option - to withdraw the I-130 petition as soon as possible. That will stop the marriage based process. You need to do that immediately; if the green card is approved, it will be too late and you will be stuck with your affidavit of support obligations. You do this by writing a letter to the address listed on the I-130 Receipt Notice and providing a copy of the I-130 Receipt Notice.

Yes, she might be able to go through the process on her own through a VAWA self petition based on abuse. But she would actually have to prove that the abuse occurred. That might be hard to do. However there is nothing you can do to stop the USCIS from approving such a self-petition.

If you can get proof of her affair with someone else, and proof that she is blackmailing you in writing or in a voicemail or recording, then you can report her to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) who will investigate and make a referral to the immigration court based on their finding. Just saying this is what she is planning is not going to be enough for ICE to take action.

That is all you can do in this case.

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.