Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Grettings ***** *****, My wife was here on a 2-year visa It

Customer Question

Customer: Grettings ***** *****, My wife was here on a 2-year visa It is set to expire soon When she arrived, I soon discovered that she married me to get a visa. I have acquired extensive evidence of this and have already informed immigration. The complicating factor is that we have a child together that is an American citizen born abroad. I have already notified the Department of State to flag the passport. I have also notified the Kenyan Embassy (she is from Kenya) that I do not consent to a passport being issued. Is there anything else I need to do to keep her from leaving the country with our child?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I filed for divorce last year in May. I had to drop it because it was becoming too costly.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for requesting me. I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It looks like to me that you have done everything you can do at this point. What evidence have you been able to get that shows she only married you for the green card? How have you been able to overcome the one piece of evidence that shows that the relationship wasn't just to get a green card, that evidence being a child born to the relationship? The child already has a certificate of Consular Report of Birth Abroad?