How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5091
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question on visa status
, I am canadian and

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I have a question on visa status
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am canadian and under OPT, when I entered US few weeks ago, I received both B1 and J1, just realized and under my 1-94, it said B1 Currently I do have an employer, how can I change back to j1?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Immigration Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure, but will it be a qualified answers and will I be able to find out now?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

In order to change back to J1 you will have to either depart the US and reenter using your J1 or submit an I-539 form for a change of status while inside the US. You can find information here

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,Thanks for your answers. So, based on your answer, it looks like the easiest way is to get back to J1 status will be leave and re-enter US. Is there an anything that I have to prepare in order to have them put me under J1? (I showed them my new I-20 for OPT and the hiring letter, but some reason they got me B1 status). I did some researches and people were saying about DS-2019. Is this form only used to apply for the J1? Since I have J1 stamped on my passport, I don't have to take any extra actions other than providing my new I-20 with employer letter and tell them that I want to enter US as a J1 status?Thanks a lot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also will there be any penalties or disadvantages when they asked if I worked during B1 status? I am planning to apply TN after my OPT period.Thanks.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You are confusing two things. If you are entering on J-1 there is no OPT. OPT Is for F-1. If you have an F-1 then you don't need DS-2019. If you have a J-1 then you will show your DS-2019.

You cannot work at all on a B1 status. There is no penalty in them asking you but there is penalty if they find out that you worked while you were on B1.

Hope that helps and hope you can now leave a positive rating. Thanks!

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there- It's been a few days since we last spoke. I am just checking whether you received the answer I sent you and if you had any follow up questions I can help with.

Please let me know and hopefully I have earned your positive rating. Thanks!