Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am working in the US with an H1- that expires on March 14,

Customer Question
I am working in the...
I am working in the US with an H1-B that expires on March 14, 2016. I am currently applying for a green card, but I might not get the work permit before the expiration of the H1-B. i was told I could ask for a leave of absence until I get the permit. Is this possible? My boss is willing to do so.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/21/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello Marcela! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

If you understand that, please answer the following:

What purpose would taking a leave of absence serve? What are you trying to accomplish?