How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109654
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am under F-1 visa since 2013. I just moved in to TX from

Customer Question

I am under F-1 visa since 2013. I just moved in to TX from LA. But I could not transfer as I was late. The DSO told me to join language school in mean time to protect my F-1 status and apply in Fall. So is that valid and how does taking 12 credit hours work in those ESL
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

So you are currently out of status? When did you stop taking the required amount of classes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I m in status.I just moved into TX after completing my semester in LA. I was late to admit into college.So, they said they could not take my application. I dont wana go back to LA as I have nobody over there.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Well, that you have no one in LA and many people in Texas does not really matter to USCIS. What matters to them is that you maintain your legal status. If you are within your grace period because you completed your studies, then you need to get into a new program immediately. You do that by looking for a school that is SEVIS certified and getting admitted and having the DSO issue a new I-20 for you, etc. Here is a link to help you find a new school:

So make sure you do this as quickly as possible. As long as you get into a certified program in time and maintain the required course load, you can then later transfer to the school that you want to attend.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Bishal. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!