Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My name is ***** ***** Alazzawi my issue regarding overseas…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** Alazzawi my issue regarding overseas divorcing

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

So when I entered the US , I was married to someone from Iraq (thats where Im from), we've lost touch since almost 4 years ago, now I wanna move on with my life and divorce her to marry someone from here eventually

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
hi, I've entered the US 4 years ago as a permenant resident. At that time , I was married to someone from there (Iraq), but we've seperated 4 years ago (verbally not legally) , now I lost touch with her and I need to move on with my life and marry my girlfriend from here. How can I do this? noting that I've filed as single in my taxes for the last 4 years ?
1/20/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Was your green card based upon the marriage to this person from Iraq, or did you help them get a green card?

No sir, it wasnt based on the marriage. and they didnt approve/give her a visa either, so she's still there most probably, havent made it to the US through me
my green card was based on my service to the US army/Agencies in Iraq

If you are still legally married, you will need to do a divorce. So you are having problems finding your current spouse? What city and state do you live in and how long have you been living there?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

If you want a divorce, you file for one in your local county court. As long as you have been living there for normally 6 more months, the state courts in your county will have jurisdiction. If you cannot find your spouse, that's ok too. You do what is called divorce by publication. If she does not respond, then a few months later your divorce should be finalized.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.