How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4714
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has a permanent resident card. She has been in the

Customer Question

My wife has a permanent resident green card. She has been in the country for about 6 months. She applied to a job, and the manager said she wants her to be in the country at least a year before she hires her.
Is this legal? I don't see how her time in the US has anything to do with her ability to work.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Employers are prohibited from discrimination related to immigration status. You can definitely try to file a complaint and see if there is a recourse against them. There is a special office that looks into these matters when related to immigration. They are called Office of the Special Counsel.

This federal law prohibits: 1) citizenship status discrimination in hiring, firing, or recruitment or referral for a fee, 2) national origin discrimination in hiring, firing, or recruitment or referral for a fee, 3) document abuse (unfair documentary practices during the employment eligibility verification, Form I-9, process, and 4) retaliation or intimidation.

You can call them at 1-***-***-****.

You can read about it in these pages

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.. It's been a few days since I sent your answer and I'm just checking if you were able to view my answer and ask if you have any follow up questions.

Please so let me know so that I can hopefully earn your positive rating.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am just wondering if you had any questions or clarifications I can help with.

I would like to earn your positive rating, which has not been issued yet. Thank you.

Related Immigration Law Questions