Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Daughter received her card in july 2015, can she stay out of…

Customer Question
Daughter received her green card...
Daughter received her green card in july 2015, can she stay out of the country and study in Colombia and do a four year program there? She has been there since July and returned to the USA in December 2015, should she stay to retain her green card?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/18/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

She can do that but she will need a re-entry travel permit to stay out that long and to be coming in and out of the US so much. With a green card, you are supposed to be residing in the US and you are not supposed to stay out of the country more than 1 year at a time. Even staying out more than 6 months to 1 year can cause questioning and issues when coming back in to the US , if she does it too often. Also, even staying out less than 6 months but having too many frequent trips outside the US for long periods of time may also cause issues. To avoid any possible issues, it is recommended that she get a reentry permit by submitting form I-131. She must be inside the US when she mails this but then she can depart. She must return to get her biometrics (fingerprints) taken in a few weeks when she gets the appointment.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Hello again.. I'm just checking in to see if you were able to view my answer and ask if you have any follow up questions.

Please so let me know so that I can hopefully earn your positive rating.

It has been a few days so I am just wondering whether you had any questions or clarifications I can help with.