Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question regarding the renewal of my husbands

Customer Question
Hello. My name is...

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I have a question regarding the renewal of my husbands resident alien card.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My husband has been in the US since he was 5. His resident alien card has no expiration date but needs to be updated in order for him to renew his ID card and Drivers License. He however, has had 4 DWI convictions. He is currently on probation and has completed all of his requirements under probation along with us paying his surcharges. They are asking for him to renew his DL at this time, but it can't be done until he has a current resident alien card. Will we be able to get one or will they start deportation due to his convictions?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/16/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

If you understand that, please answer the following:

Has he ever been confined (i.e., in jail or prison)? IF so, for how long?

What were the exact offense codes for which he was convicted? Usually, after a couple of DWIs, the offenses and punishments increase.

Was anybody ever seriously injured or killed as a result?

Did he ever get caught driving on a suspended license?

He had to do 10 days in the county jail, weekends. I do not have the exact codes, but will ask his probation officer. There were never any injuries or anyone killed. No, he has never driven on a suspended license.

OK, I will need that information about the offense codes to answer this question accurately.

I found his court papers. It has NO: 366-80225-09 (single count), Driving while intoxicated 3rd or more, also has numbers proceeded by TRN/TRS, and SID. If you need those numbers, let me know. It is an order continuing defendant on adjudicated community supervision. He has attended drug court and has not had a drink since the arrest. He has completed his DWI/Drug Court, paid court costs, and is currently paying his surcharges monthly. He is to continue his community supervision until June 2017.

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay. I was away when you responded. My apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

In what state did these take place?

And were they all alcohol related? Or were drugs involved?

Is that number an offense code? Or is that his ticket number?

Ely, Counselor at Law