How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11912
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step children were here on a 2 year temporary visa before

Customer Question

my step children were here on a 2 year temporary visa before i could finish the paper work they went back too see there grandmother who was sick that was 2 month's ago and there visa expired is there way they can come back too america
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

If you understand that, please answer the following:

How long were they in the US with the visitor visa before they left the US?

Are you asking how they can get another visitor visa?

Did you file the I-130 petitions for them already?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
almost 2 years. yes i am asking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I filed but they left to visit there grandmother who was ill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didn't send the paper work in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am still here. Sorry about that. But I am working with several customers at the same time, so delays are inevitable. Please note it was 30 minutes after I responded to you before you provided me with the answers to my questions. Also, each time you post a response, your question goes to the bottom of my list, causing further delays. My apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused you. I thank you for your patience and understanding.

ANSWER: In order to get another visitor visa, their parent with custody has to file an application for visitor visa - DS-160. Here is all of the information you need to get them a visitor visa:

OR, if you want them to get immigrant visas to come to the US as permanent residents and get their green cards, you need to file the I-130 petitions, let is process in the US, and then go to the national visa center and the US consulate, which issues the immigrant visa.

At the national visa center stage, you will be asked to submit an I-864, Affidavit of Support. They will need to have immigrant visa applications filled out and filed (DS-260).

They also may have to undergo a medical examination before getting their visas.

Here is information on the immigrant visa process:

Now, if they get immigrant visas, they will enter the US as permanent residents and will get green cards within 4 to 6 weeks.

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to assist you.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Related Immigration Law Questions