Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My step children were here on a 2 year temporary visa before…

Customer Question
my step children were here...
my step children were here on a 2 year temporary visa before i could finish the paper work they went back too see there grandmother who was sick that was 2 month's ago and there visa expired is there way they can come back too america
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

If you understand that, please answer the following:

How long were they in the US with the visitor visa before they left the US?

Are you asking how they can get another visitor visa?

Did you file the I-130 petitions for them already?

almost 2 years. yes i am asking
I filed but they left to visit there grandmother who was ill
i didn't send the paper work in
are you still there

Yes, I am still here. Sorry about that. But I am working with several customers at the same time, so delays are inevitable. Please note it was 30 minutes after I responded to you before you provided me with the answers to my questions. Also, each time you post a response, your question goes to the bottom of my list, causing further delays. My apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused you. I thank you for your patience and understanding.

ANSWER: In order to get another visitor visa, their parent with custody has to file an application for visitor visa - DS-160. Here is all of the information you need to get them a visitor visa: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html

OR, if you want them to get immigrant visas to come to the US as permanent residents and get their green cards, you need to file the I-130 petitions, let is process in the US, and then go to the national visa center and the US consulate, which issues the immigrant visa.

At the national visa center stage, you will be asked to submit an I-864, Affidavit of Support. They will need to have immigrant visa applications filled out and filed (DS-260).

They also may have to undergo a medical examination before getting their visas.

Here is information on the immigrant visa process: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process.html

Now, if they get immigrant visas, they will enter the US as permanent residents and will get green cards within 4 to 6 weeks.

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to assist you.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.