How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28861
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lost my certificate of citizenship. I have filed a N565.

Customer Question

I lost my certificate of citizenship. I have filed a N565 for replacment. They sent me confirmation that they have received the application but are telling me it is going to take a MINIMUMOF 6 MONTHS FOR THE REPLACEMENT AND COULD TAKE UP TO A YEAR. i AM TRYING TO GET A PASSPORT BUT CANNOT WITHOUT THE CERTIFICATE. i WOULD LIKE TO GO TO GREECE THE FIRST PART OF MAY. IS THERE A WAY TO EXPEDITE MY APPLICATION FOR REPLACEMENT OR A WAY I CAN GET A PASPORT WITHOUT IT?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

No there is no way to expedite and you will have to delay all travel plans until you have your new Certificate of Citizenship.

I always tell my clients to get a passport as back-up proof of citizenship because if they loose their Certificate as you did you have absolutely no proof of your naturalization.

There is one thing you can do but it probably will fail. You can go to the court house where you were sworn in and see the clerk of the court and ask them if they are able to provide you with a certified copy of the court order granting your naturalization. That is seldom a successful option but you can try.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Related Immigration Law Questions