How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29021
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 18 and have been living in the USA since I was six. I

Customer Question

I am 18 and have been living in the USA since I was six. I have done very well in high school and qualify for many different college programs. The issue is, I am unfortunately undocumented and can not get any kind of financial aid which completely prevents me from obtaining any higher education. Is there anything I can do to remedy this issue? It is very depressing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Tell me if you meet these qualifications

You may request DACA if you:

  1. Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
  2. Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
  3. Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
  4. Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
  5. Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
  6. Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
  7. Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor,or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

From what you have told me you seem to qualify for DACA. If you at least get DACA you can work and go to community college. I worked my way through community college, university and law school with no financial help or money from my family so if you have the will you have the ability to still get your education. It may not be exactly the way you want to get it but what counts in the end is that degree and by then hopefully we will have immigration reform laws passed.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my paperwork is all in order now that I have applied for DACA. My main concern is trying to get some type of financial help since I have a 3 year old daughter, graduated high school early, have taken a gap year to work a minimum wage job and save up to go to college; is there any grants or financial aid that I could possibly be eligible for?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

No,federal law prohibits financial aid if you have no legal status.

Some states, California being one I know of, do allow the state colleges to provide aid.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know of any grants or programs to help someone in my situation?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

No that is not something an immigration lawyer would know. You would need to talk to guidance counselors at the school and to just do hours and hours of research on the internet.