How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12056
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im feeling the form I-30 mother, I was born in New York and

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is***** feeling the form I-30 for my mother, I was born in New York and during the time frame of my mother applying for her green card she got a letter of deportation back Dom. Rep. in 1994.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has a 10 year visa, she has visited me many time in FL, but filling the paper work for question 16. Has your relative ever been under immigration proceedings? Iam not sure what to check, since she has a visa now
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Immigration Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: and she has an employment authorization from 1995,ask for that number but I dont know is still on the gov record. yes thanks you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: sounds good, Wilton
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I require to give you an answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important because do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

In 1994, when she got the deportation letter, did she go to court and actually get deported?

And then later, she was able to get a new visitor visa to come to the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi James, thank you so much for your time.
She got married in New York changed her name to her husband at the time. She was under the section 245 in process of residence and she had an employment authorization ID, and a social secury number back in 1995. The only attended two meetting together. He stared to get agresive and treating me bad and scream at her too. She went alone to the third meeting and they said your husband most be here too, please come back with him.
She got a letter in the mail at our old apt in New York, where our other family member lived at the time and read the letter of self deportation. We moved to Boston for two years runing away from him were she purchased a house. Was a teacher in a local private school. We moved to Dominican Republic 1996. I moved to FL fall 2010 seeking for a better education and my dream job with Apple. She waited 14 years to apply for a visa, and it was issued on 14Mar2012 in Dominican Republic for ten years. She is the only parent/family I have left so I want to have my mother here with me. This is why Im working on the I-30 form and suck with the fallowing questions
16. Has your relative ever been under immigration proceedings?15. Name and address of present employer (if any).... are they talking about her current job in Dom Rep that she has as a teacher in a university since 1999 and still active or her job here un USA?
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

OK, but I still have not received all of the information I require. you said "self deportation." Do you mean she was offered voluntary departure? Because deportation and voluntary departure are two completely different things, and have two completely different meanings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was offered voluntary departure
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you very much. My apologies for the slight delay. I was unavailable at the time of your response.

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: Voluntary Departure is not a deportation proceeding. So if she was not actually put in deportation proceedings, the answer to your first question(question 16) is No, based on the fact that you say she was given voluntary departure, and not actually deported.

For the second question, it needs to be a truthful answer. So that should be all employers with whom she is currently employed, whether abroad or in the US.

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.