How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12059
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ma'am, My parents became US Citizen in 2002, when I was 9

Customer Question

Hello Sir/Ma'am,
My parents became US Citizen in 2002, when I was 9 years old. So I got my US Citizenship through them becoming US Citizen. In 2011 when I turned 18, I went to go get my drivers license, and that's when I realized that my birthday on my US Citizen Certificate is wrong. I was born in 1993, which is stated on my social security, but it says 1992 on my US Citizen. I've been trying to correct it, but the United Sates Citizenship and Immigration Services said I need my birthday certificate or my green card that prove I was born in 1993. Those are items I, nor my parents don't have. I sent in everything I have have with my correct birthday on, but USCIS still wouldn't take it. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I require to give you an answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important because do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

Why can't you get a birth certificate from your home country?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because I was born in a refugee camp in thailand.
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

OK, does your family have any contact with anyone who can swear to that as a witness of the birth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother was a very independent women and my dad was never around. So she gave birth to me at home. She helped herself like she did with my other 6 older siblings.
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

So you were born in a refugee camp, yet born at home? The home was on a refugee camp? If so, was there nobody else around that can swear to having first hand knowledge of your birth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My oldest sister
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Were you baptized or was your birth otherwise recorded by a religious organization?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I am asking my mom now. She said women back then gave birth during the night, she helped herself and cut the cord, but the next day all my older siblings, and my dad was there.
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Were you baptized or was your birth otherwise recorded by a religious organization?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, my parents didn't baptized any of their children born in refugees camp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be easier if I just change my birth on social security? Or would it be the same case?
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My sincerest apologies for the delay in responding. Just Answer is upgrading its services, and with the, technical issues sometimes arise. It appears this may have happened in your case, leading to not receiving a notification that you responded. I’m sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

As to your last question, I do not think it is a good idea to change your social security to the incorrect date because you would be intentionally and knowingly providing incorrect information on federal documents.

ANSWER: The best thing you can try to do is to get sworn affidavits from anyone and everyone who has first-hand knowledge of your birth date being the date that you now claim is your birth date. You also should provide some sort of letter that explains why you provided the wrong birth date.

There must be some forms or log book that was kept while in the refugee camp. Some organization that helped your family get out should have this information available.

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Related Immigration Law Questions