How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29017
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and I would like to know about how I

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** ***** and I would like to know about how I can extend my i-20 So I am now enrolling as a Master student in Columbia University and I had a very bad first semester, which makes me not able to complete all the credits I need for graduation. And my following semesters are decent but not that good. And the office of my department said that they could only inform the international student office of our university after all my grades are published.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: And on the ISSO(international student office) website, they said that academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for i20 extension and ask students to apply for extension before the completion date on the i20, but according to my department, they will evaluate if they are gonna help me apply for the extension after my grades are published, which is well after the completion date
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Immigration Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Ok. All the school is telling you is truthful.

What you can do however after your grades are published and you rmeet the criteria for remaining enrolled is to have the school issue you an I-20 for re-instatement and you file the I-539 with the I-20 recommendation and then you must attend classes until USCIS reinstates your student status.

USCIS is very generous about reinstatement so it should not be a problem.

The link for the I-539 is

You need to hope you can pull up our GPA s the school will agree to the reinstatement.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful. Experts are only compensated for their time if you give a positive rating.

I did not control the process your husbanf engages in with the school who controls T recommendation for reinstatement and unfortunately I have no ability to work magic. I can only give an honest answer.