How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5231
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was granted witholding of removal in 2007 after filing

Customer Question

Hi, i was granted witholding of removal in 2007 after filing for political asylum. Now i am married to a us citizen and he wants to petition for a green card for me. Do i need to file a motion to reopen my case or should he just go ahead and file for me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

How did you enter the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I entered on visitors visa in 2001, iwas granted political asylum but the prosecutor apealed it and it was denied so i was granted witholding of removal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i touched the live phonecall box by accident, we can just continue by email.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. First your husband would have to file the I-130 petition on your behalf. Once that is approved, then you would have to file a Joint Motion to Reopen your court case. Once the court reopens it , then you can apply for adjustment of status for your green card with application I-485. You can do that either before the immigration judge or if the judge terminates proceedings, you can then do it directly with USCIS at a local office. You cannot file for the green card now without reopening the case.

I know immigration issues sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with application preparation or review, I can send you an offer for this legal service to you for a reasonable fee later on. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.