How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12291
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am us citizen, my brother is planning to study in USA

Customer Question

I am us citizen, my brother is planning to study in USA under F1 visa, if I applied for green card for him , will he get a work permit ?, how long does it take ?
Submitted: 1 year ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: First, you do not apply for a green card for him. You file a petition (I-130) for him. Then he has to wait more than 10 years before he can apply for a green card. At the time he can apply for the green card, he can also apply for a work permit.

So yes, he can apply for a work permit at the time he applies for a green card. But that will be only after more than 10 years from when you put in the petition for him.

I'm very sorry. But that is how the law works. There are not enough green cards available for everyone who wants one, so it creates a waiting line. That line is more than 10 year before getting to the front.

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good answer, I was asking for special case" if my brother is already inside United States ", I do not think I got an answer for this part of my question
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that. I do not see that part of a question anywhere above.

Can you explain what you mean by a special case? Why is it a special case? What do you mean by that? Just because he is in the US now?