How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancee and i have just been appro k1 visa and after her

Customer Question

my fiancee and i have just been appro for the k1 visa and after her interview will be coming in a few months. i am getting a new apartment where we will live. i plan to put the lease in my name since obviously she doesn't have a drivers license or social security #. can i just put the lease un my name? if she does have to sign what paperwork if any would she need to get added to the apartment lease or does she even has to sign?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

Generally, a foreign faincee can be added to the lease with the landlord's permission, but it is important to at least have the fiancee listed as additional occupant, to avoid any issues with the landlord once the fiancee arrives and moved into the rental unit and if the fiancee is simply added as listed occupant, then generally the fiancee would not have to sign the lease.

Also, it is important to have the fiancee name listed on the lease either as tenant or occupant, since USCIS will be requiring proof of joint residence, once the fiancee is married and application for adjustment of status is made.

I wish you the best of luck!