Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I obtained the card 5 years ago as my mom is an american

Customer Question
i obtained the green card...
i obtained the green card 5 years ago as my mom is an american citizen but now i am employed in Dubai and upon entering the united states last time the officer wanted to take away my green card but he let me in but made a warning on the system so , my
question is : If i voluntarily surrendered my green card can i re-apply in the future as my mom is still an american citizen?If no how could i keep my green card while working abroad?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/13/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there --

-

Once you are over 21 years of age, you cannot continue to apply for green cards through your mother's US citizenship. Unfortunately, if you have a green card, you must enter the US and stay for a minimum of 10 days during each calendar year and if you do not do that then you can lose your green card status AND you will not be able to reapply through your mother if you are now over the age of 21. Which means you would have to use a regular immigration application process which could take up to ten years..

-

My suggestion to you here is to apply for your own US citizenship as quickly as you can. Once you have that, no one can take it away from you and you can still be a citizen of your original country and use that passport when traveling (if using a US passport between those countries makes you nervous) but then you can give your US passport to the customs agent when you land in the US again and all will be fine. Because it takes 3-5 years of having a green card before you can apply for US citizenship, I believe that you should be in the right time frame to do so.

-

The citizenship paperwork can be found at the immigration website USCIS.gov or you can hire an attorney to do it for you. However, the application for US citizenship is fairly straightforward and you should be able to read and complete the forms yourself and then put a money order or bank check with the form and send to the address listed on the forms. They will then contact you to appear at a local immigration office (or the US embassy if you are abroad) to complete the paperwork and be sworn in..

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so that I will be paid for my time assisting you. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating before leaving (pressing the middle button or the fourth or fifth button to the right of the middle button are positive ratings). Otherwise, JA keeps the entire payment and does not give the expert a portion. Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time and give me the appropriate credit for assisting you tonight. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY

Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer