How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5226
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a gay couple and I'm a card holder 2 years

Customer Question

Hi there we are a gay couple and I'm a green card holder for the 2 years conditional I married a USA citizenship in March 2014 , but 11 months later we started having relationship issues and now he wants to divorce me and kick me out from his house since
I live with him because he says I've been cheating on him so many times and he says he's gonna take my stuff out the house And talk to his lawyer to cancel my green card So I'm afraid at this point and I'm wondering if I will loose my citizenship Help me please
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Your green card cannot be canceled by him or his attorney. You can still get your permanent residency. What you have to do is when it is time to remove the conditions of your residency, you will request to do it as divorced instead filing jointly. You will have to show proof that you were together all this time such as bank statements, lease, taxes, joint bills, pictures, etc. AND most importantly, you will need to be divorced already because you have to show the divorce decree. So if you are separating, it is best that you do it as soon as possible so that you can be officially divorced when it is time to file the I-751.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there thanks so much for your prompted response and regarding on your response about taxes he didn't want to do filled joint marriage he only did single , but everything else is fine so since I'm not going in his house because he doesn't want me to go there anymore I'm just afraid he's not gonna hide our documents like medical insurance, and pictures because is everything in his house and about leasing I paid my rent for him already we don't have lease together because I stay at his house but I can have all the payment history that I paid for rent of his house
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I see. All I can tell you is to try to get as many documents as possible because that is what you will need to win the case.

Hope that helps. Please remember to issue a positive rating. Thanks.