How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108681
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in a small petty theft and was caught by

Customer Question

Hi, I was involved in a small petty theft and was caught by Walmart staff. The worth of items is less than 300$. I was arrested and later released on bail. The court gave me a fine of 300$ and I payed it. I later got a later from Walmart attorney, and I also paid the money they asked I.e 300$. The 6 month supervision period is also completed. Will I have any problems for I485
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It was a simple shoplifting and no jail sentence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a shop lifting . I was just arrested and later released on bail. I was asked to pay the fine and 6 month supervision. No jail sentence
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. This situation fits into what is called the Petty Offense Exception. So it normally would not cause a denial of U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. You would have to obtain CERTIFIED copies of both the police report and court disposition in order to turn them in when you apply for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. Make sure that nothing like that happens again because you could lose Residency if you have two such convictions.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello John. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions