Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Can I study legally after I applied asylum?

Customer Question
Can I study legally after...
Can I study legally after I applied for Political asylum?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/4/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is yes, an asylum applicant can study while the application is processing. However, such an applicant is not eligible for existing internships or work-study programs that may be available. In addition, note that the college/university can decide whether to (a) give you in-state tuition or not, or, (b) give you formal credit for your classes.

Both (a) and (b) should be discussed with the college/university prior to applying/enrolling into any program.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What document do I get when I applied for Asylum?

While the application is pending, the applicant receives a temporary permit of residence. Then the permit is extended assuming asylum is granted. The applicant can apply for a greencard a year after asylum has been granted.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

If you mean what document one uses to apply for asylum, then it would be this:

Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law