Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

A friend who lives in Ghana but has a US citizenship wants

Customer Question
to bring gold bars into...
A friend who lives in Ghana but has a US citizenship wants to bring gold bars into the US. Is that allowed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/3/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, this is allowed. However, this is also likely a scam. Your online friend is likely a scammer. See HERE and HERE.

Ghana quickly emerged as one of the top internet scam locations in the world in the mid 2000s. The authorities there are unable/unwilling to step the tide of the scams. The scammer will typically state that they are coming with gold, money, etc, but then that they are stuck at the airport and a bribe has to be paid, and/or taxes, and/or they are arrested by immigration, etc. They will keep asking you for money but they or their gold will never show.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. YOU ARE LIKELY BEING SCAMMED.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law