How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29021
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a oak ceremony next week base on my 3 year marriage,

Customer Question

I have a oak ceremony next week for naturalization base on my 3 year marriage , did interview back in July and was divorced August 24 th of this year . Number 1 on the questionnaire ask if I have been divorced answer is yes . Will I be denied ? Could I get a lawyer to file any paperwork ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Which questionnaire are you filling out, please? Please be specific. Was this questionnaire sent out before or after your interview?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

No, you will not be denied simply for answering yes but it may delay the process. Either way you have to honest. You cannot lie. In addition, you do have to bring your original divorce certificate with you to the oath ceremony.

There is no other paperwork that needs to be filed, you just need to be honest and bring the documentation.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hi My name is Judith.

If you are requesting naturalization based on the 3 year rule you must be married to the US citizen during the entire process.

That means up to and including through the oath taking.

You will be refused participation in the oath taking on the scheduled date and USCIS will notify you in writing regarding their decision with respect to not meeting the statutory requirements.

Do NOT lie on the form you have to turn in when you report for the oath as that will jeopardize your permanent resident status if you are caught misrepresenting the information.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.