How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my card years now, and have been married years to an

Customer Question

I had my green card for 9 years now, and have been married for 14 years to an American born citizen.
I want to apply For citizenship.
I can apply based on being married to a U.S. Citizen for more than 3 years OR by having the green card for more than 5 years.
I have both options but I can only check one on my application.
I am thinking to apply based on the 5 years green card because it is less paperwork.
What are your thinkings? And is there any benefit to go based on marriage vs the other?
Taking into consideration that I am still married and my green card is still in effect, it expires in mid 2016.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Was this a duplicate question? Please let me know so I can have this question refunded. Thank you.